Saturday, October 2, 2010

These are a Few of My Favourite Things

As we get closer to departure, I’ve put some thought into some of my favourite things about Rwanda. Note – I have not seen the Gorillas yet – that happens Sunday, so for now, they don’t make the list. This list is in no particular order.

1.       Friday night Chapati pizza – Cathy’s girls make a helluva good pizza using chapatis as a base. Said chapaties come from the house next door, from the Muslim woman who is an excellent cook.
2.       GOOD MORNING said about 100 times as we make our way to school – usually by exceptionally cute, small children, who will risk life and limb to come running out to wave at us, and have us wave back.
3.       The beautiful beautiful beautiful children who just melt my heart. Anyone who knows me will tell you I am NOT a sucker for kids. I’m usually not quite sure what to do with them. But here – the babies turn me into a drooley high pitched squeaking mess, and I’ve taken more than one little girl to Cathy’s medicine kit to put ointment on a non-existent booboo. (the trip to the medicine kit thrills them, as it means they get to go into Cathy’s office where all the cool stuff is)
4.       Giving away goats – the smiles of pure joy from the people receiving goats – such a small gesture making such a big difference. It’s enough to make anyone teary eyed.
5.       Max the dog – his ‘hug me’ stance when he backs his ass into you and sits on your foot. LOVE ME he demands. And you have to comply because he’s so darn lovable.
6.       Rwandan coffee – as bad as it is for me, it is sooooo deeelicious. It makes good people do bad things.  
7.       Feeding time – handing the bread and sorghum to the kids and having them yell ‘thank you very much!!’. Then chasing away the resident chickens who try to steal the bread right out of the childrens’ hands. I never liked chickens. They’re only good for eatin’.  
8.       The curious stares when we’re in the market, and the amused and genuinely friendly smiles of the women and men at our attempts at Rwandan words.
9.       The 4 or 5 little ones at school who will sidle over every day to hold my hand – it’s always the same ones – usually quiet, shy, and just wanting to hold hands.
10. Amina and Sara - 2 of the most precocious little girls in the school. I'd likely go mental if there were my kids but for 4 hours at school, they're full of rascally, lovable goodness. 
And here are some of our favorite photos !
Theogene. David's favourite kid.

T-shirt on one of the street boys.

Nozeeme 'The Doctor' heading off to a short call.

David teaching the concept of maximum extraction.

Learning K'Naan

CONGA!


Playing with the babies while Sara tries to mount my neck

Majid, AKA Colonel Sanders.

Sara, one of Dal's favourites, endearing herself.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud to be friends with you two!

    ReplyDelete